- Medicine - Nov 21 MVLS academics named as Highly Cited Researchers
- Medicine - Nov 21 Four Queen Mary University of London scientists make Highly Cited Researchers 2014 List
- Life Sciences - Nov 21 Report highlights opportunities and risks associated with synthetic biology and bioengineering
- Administration - Nov 21 Worldwide campaign on abortion raises $300m, UCL Lancet lecture told
- Medicine - Nov 20 Systems of change behind everything from climate to health
- Medicine - Nov 20 Young people have more varied sex lives than their parents
- Medicine - Nov 17 Foodbank users report benefit delays, adverse life events
- Physics - Nov 17 Controlling growth of organic crystals with high- powered magnets could have major benefits for pharmaceutical development
- Medicine - Nov 17 UofG signs historic agreement with Thailand’s Mahidol University
- Life Sciences - Nov 17 Puppy poo needed to monitor antibiotic- resistant bacteria
- Medicine - Nov 16 From Hong Kong high- rise to world- leading renal researcher
- Medicine - Nov 16 New talking therapy could help cancer survivors cope after treatment
Forging new links with China
Cardiff University has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Sun Yat-sen University that will see the two institutions working together in the field of breast cancer research.
The MoU was signed by Professor Nora de Leeuw, Pro Vice-Chancellor, International and Europe, from Cardiff University and Professor Erwei Song from the Sun Yet-sen Memorial Hospital, during a government delegation to China to promote Sino-UK links in bio-medical sciences.
Professor Nora de Leeuw, Cardiff University Pro Vice-Chancellor, International and Europe, said: “It’s a privilege to sign this MoU on behalf of Cardiff University..."
The MOU includes collaborative research in the areas of:
- Triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) This aggressive type of breast cancer (about 15-20% of all breast cancers) is difficult to treat, as it does not respond to hormonal therapies or to newer biological therapies. Both Cardiff University and Sun Yat-sen University have a strong track record in both laboratory and clinical breast cancer research, making them ideal research partners in the search for the underlying molecular basis of this group of tumours and the design/testing of novel therapies which can improve survival.
- Novel, targeted anti-cancer drugs directed against metastatic breast cancer Cardiff University and Sun Yat-sen University have a shared interest in the identification and exploitation of novel targets for systemic anti-cancer therapy. These mutual interests offer clear potential for collaborative development and testing of novel anti-cancer drugs, particularly in metastatic breast cancer.
- Clinical trials Sun Yat-sen University has one of the largest breast cancer teams and best clinical facilities in China, in terms of number of patients, hospital beds, clinical service and tumour bio-banking. Cardiff can offer its leading expertise in the design and conduct of clinical trials, through the College of Biomedical and Life Science’s Centre for Trials Research and through the involvement of its academic clinicians. Exchange visits between the two Universities will promote the exchange of expertise in designing innovative, world-leading clinical trials which could benefit from joint recruitment and bio-specimen collection in both countries.
Cardiff University has a long-standing relationship with China, with 50 formal academic links and strategic partnership agreements with universities across the country for both research collaboration and student exchange.
If you are interested in developing a relationship with us and would like to become a partner please email us with details of your proposal.
Last job offers
- Life Sciences - 20.11
Assistant and Associate Professor Opportunities in Sports and Exercise Science
- Life Sciences - 17.11
Associate Professor of Neuroscience
- Life Sciences - 17.11
Associate Professor of Cardiovascular Physiology
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 17.11
Nuffield Professorship of Clinical Medicine
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 14.11
Chair in Healthcare Management
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 8.11
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) / Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor)
- Life Sciences - 7.11
Quain Professor or Associate Professor of Plant or Fungal Evolutionary Biology
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 7.11
Associate Professor in Pharmacy Practice