- Careers - Jan 31 UCL named in Stonewall’s Top 100 employers list
- Careers - Jan 31 The Stonewall Top 100 Employers
- Education - Jan 10 Cardiff University launches ambitious new strategy
- Medicine - Jan 4 Six UCL papers in Altmetric Top 100
- Physics - Nov 27 Durham 73rd in world rankings for Physical Sciences
- Medicine - Nov 21 Four Queen Mary University of London scientists make Highly Cited Researchers 2014 List
- Psychology - Nov 9 Sussex in England’s top five universities for psychology
- Psychology - Nov 8 UCL ranked 2nd worldwide for psychology by THE
- Social Sciences - Oct 12 Social Sciences at Oxford named ’world’s best’
- Law - Oct 4 The University of Glasgow is among the top 50 universities in the world for studying law
- Law - Oct 4 Law at Queen Mary ranked 37th in the world
- Academic Rankings - Oct 4 Durham’s research and teaching amongst best in the world
Durham’s research and teaching amongst best in the world
Durham University’s research and teaching has been recognised as amongst the best in the world in the latest Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by Subject.
The global league table ranks Social Sciences, Law and Education at Durham all 51st in the world with Business and Economics placed in the top 130 globally.
These latest subject rankings looked specifically at the subject areas of social sciences*, law, education, psychology and business and economics.
They judge research-intensive universities across the globe with 1,000 universities ranked. The rankings are based on universities’ core areas which include teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.
The successes in these subjects follow on from Durham’s overall achievement in world rankings.
The University was ranked in the World Top 50 for Employer Reputation in the 2018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings. In the QS World University Rankings 2018 , the University is 78th and in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2018 , Durham is ranked 97th.
Within the UK, Durham is consistently recognised as one of the top universities. It is ranked fifth in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 , fourth in the Guardian University Guide 2018 and sixth in The Complete University Guide 2018 .
Reacting to the success in the THE subject rankings, Durham University Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Social Sciences and Health, Professor Tim Clark said: “It is very rewarding to see the wonderful work of our university community reflected in these league tables.
“We are very proud to be a global and distinctive university with the highest levels of excellence in teaching and research.
“Through our new University Strategy, we will continue to build on our strengths and further develop our world-class research, education and wider student experience.”
The University is involved in many collaborative research projects around the world with many having a direct impact on society.
These include, for example within the School of Education, the development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit which is used by schools to decide on the best intervention to raise attainment in the classroom for disadvantaged pupils. Since its introduction in England in 2011, the Toolkit has been adopted by authorities in Australia, recommended by Learning Wales, and has been translated into Spanish and Portuguese for schools in Latin America.
Within Durham Law School, research into the criminal regulation of some forms of extreme pornography has influenced law reform campaigns which in turn have led to new criminal laws in England, Wales and Scotland.
A team in the Department of Geography is working to understand what causes repeated landslides, such as those in Nepal in recent years, and whether there is a way to assess the risk of a landslide happening. Ultimately, the team would like to use their findings to help develop landslide early warning systems to reduce the risk to people’s lives and homes.
* The THE Social Sciences category includes only Communication & Media Studies, Politics & International Studies, Sociology and Geography.
Last job offers
- Business/Economics - 20.2
Sanjaya Lall Visiting Professorship of Business and Development
- Social Sciences - 14.2
Associate Professor in Ethnographic Film Practice and Visual Anthropology
- Philosophy - 12.2
Assistant Professor (Research and Teaching)
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 23.1
Professor of Social Care Research and Director of PSSRU at Manchester