For the third year running the University of Birmingham is throwing open its doors and welcoming the public to its annual Community Day on Sunday 10 June.
- Medicine - 18:00 More help needed for nerve damage sufferers
- Physics - 17:00 Sussex shares in £13 million funding for physics
- Literature - 17:00 New CEO for Manchester University Press
- Careers - 16:00 UTC Plymouth MP visit
- Medicine - 16:00 Fantastic four win Queen’s Birthday Honours
- Careers - 14:00 New project aims to get stroke survivors in Nottingham back to work
- Microtechnics - 14:00 Engineering the Future
- Earth Sciences - 14:00 Ground monitoring equipment is deployed on two Ethiopian volcanoes showing signs of unrest
- Medicine - 13:00 Women in childbirth still being denied their human rights
- Life Sciences - 13:00 Centre reveals the wonder of genetic research to public
- Medicine - 11:00 Autophaser improves sample analysis in areas such as cancer, Alzheimers and oil spills
- Education - 11:00 New Rector of Exeter College announced
Dinosaurs, robots and skeletons all part of the fun at University Community Day
A hugely successful event over the previous two years, this is a chance to explore the historic campus, enjoy a selection of exciting activities, and learn more about what the University is doing – from cancer research to the psychology of sport.
Activities will include bungee-trampoline, guess the bone skeleton, street art workshops, culture trails, dinosaur dig, give-golf-a-go, making money, real robots, book giveaway, “snapped” photo competition, climbing wall, farmers’ market, and a mascot race.
Kirsty Mack, Head of Stakeholder Relations, said, “This event has proved hugely popular over the last two years, and we hope that this year will be no different. With over 150 activities taking place there really is something for everyone to enjoy. People are always welcome to come and visit our beautiful campus, take part in activities and use our facilities. The Community Day is a great opportunity to come and explore the University and find out what goes on, all year round. ”
This year visitors will be welcomed for the first time into the University’s new Bramall Music Building, a state-of-the-art 450 seat concert hall with teaching and research facilities to house the Department of Music. The building completes the University’s redbrick semi-circle at the heart of the campus.
The University’s unique heritage attraction, Winterbourne House and Garden, the geological collections in the Lapworth Museum, and its very own art gallery, The Barber Institute of Fine Art, will also be open and running a selection of workshops and activities throughout the day.
Community Day is taking place at the University of Birmingham on Sunday 10 June from 11.00am – 4.00pm. , please visit www.birmingham.ac.uk/community/communityday or the organisers at community [a] .bham.ac (p) uk or on 0121 414 8782. You can also follow the event on twitter at http://twitter.com/UoBCommunityDay
Last job offers
- Chemistry - 1.5
Research Associate in Natural Products Biosynthesis & Biosynthetic Engineering
- Interdisciplinary - 18.6
Professor in Interdisciplinary Social Science
- Civil Engineering - 18.6
Associate Professor in Urban Studies (Urban Informatics/Data Visualization)
- Business - 18.6
Professor in Accounting
- Administration - 18.6
Professorship of International Education
- Law - 17.6
Associate Professor in Law
- Mechanical Engineering - 17.6
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Civil Engineering
- Life Sciences - 13.6
Associate Professor in Ruminant Nutrition